PayByPhone Adds NFC to Mobile Payments for Ottawa’s Parking Spaces
Ottawa becomes the first Canadian city to incorporate Near Field Communications for parking
VANCOUVER BC, April 26 2012 - PayByPhone, a leading international provider of systems for parking and urban mobility payments is pleased to announce Ottawa as the latest major North American city to implement its popular cell phone payment method for parking. PayByPhone parking allows drivers to pay for and extend their parking time using a mobile app, online, or calling a local phone number. Ottawa is the first Canadian city to incorporate near field communication (NFC) and QR code features for its parking payments.
“We’re pleased to be the first Canadian city to offer a NFC option to PayByPhone users,” said Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson. “The City of Ottawa is always looking at ways to provide better service to our residents, and PayByPhone is another way we’re doing that.”
Every Pay & Display machine in Ottawa has a PayByPhone sticker with instructions on how use the system. Embedded in that sticker is an NFC tag with the location number of the Pay & Display machine. Customers only need to sign up once, after which they simply wave it over the logo on the sticker and the PayByPhone app or mobile web page is launched. The system recognizes the user, identifies the parking location, and the customer enters the amount of time desired. An optional text message is sent five minutes before the parking session ends, and if needed, allows additional time to be purchased via the phone (subject to time restrictions).
“There has been a lot of hype around NFC recently and we’re pleased to implement this technology for real-world applications,” said Neil Podmore, VP of Business Development at PayByPhone. “This is the first use of NFC for parking in Canada and we expect more widespread adoption in 2012.”
Drivers without NFC capable phones can still use the service by manually launching the app or simply calling the local number. The signs also contain QR codes for a mobile web transaction.
Customers can sign up by downloading the PayByPhone app, online at paybyphone.com or by calling 613-691-1700. PayByPhone stickers will be installed throughout the city over the next week and the service will also be available at non-gated City of Ottawa parking lots. Once signed up, customers can park in any other location in North America where the PayByPhone cashless parking service is available.
For more information, please visit ottawa.ca/paybyphone.
PayByPhone is a leading international provider of services to parking authorities allowing consumers to use their mobile phones to pay for their parking by credit or debit card. It has contracts in the Canada, UK, France, and the USA. PayByPhone is part of the PayPoint Group of companies.
PayPoint is a leading international provider of convenient payments and value added services to major consumer service organisations in the utility, housing, water, telecoms, media, financial services, transport, retail, e-commerce, gaming and public sectors. PayPoint delivers payments and services through a uniquely strong combination of local shops, internet and mobile distribution channels and handles over $11 billion from over 600 million transactions annually for more than 5,000 clients and merchants.
+1 (604) 642 4286 x152
- PayByPhone in Seattle
- PayByPhone in New York City
- Sac State Students PayByPhone
- PayByPhone in New Castle NY
- PayByPhone for Port Mann Tolls
- Seattle Selects PayByPhone
- Ottawa Rolls Out NFC Parking
- Mobile World Congress 2012
- PayByPhone Now Live in Cedar Rapids
- Tempe Welcomes PayByPhone
- PayByPhone Adds NFC in San Fran
- UA Rolls Out PayByPhone
- Galveston Launches PayByPhone
- PayByPhone and IPS Integrate
- Fall 2011 Newsletter
- Robbins Parking Now Offers PayByPhone
- White Plains Expands PayByPhone
- PayByPhone Arrives in Naperville
- SFMTA Approves PayByPhone
- Greenwich Rolls Out PayByPhone
- New Payment Option for Smartphones
- Verrus Rebrands to PayByPhone
- PayByPhone Goes Live in Fayetteville
- Lexington Parking Just Got Easier
- PayByPhone expands to South Miami
- PayByPhone Now in Whistler
- Carolina Beach Offers PayByPhone
- Wrightsville Beach Greets PayByPhone
- PayByphone Now in Fort Lauderdale
- Verrus aquired by PayPoint plc
- PCI Level 1 Accreditation